Look at this!
On the base of different stereotyped images participants reflect and discuss about the different ways the images can be perceived by people of different cultures or religions.
1. Trainers enter the room dressed up. They propose to participants to prepare in groups a kind of questionnaire. With this questionnaire they will interview the trainers to find out about “their image and real content”.
2. Afterwards, participants start working on the image of men and women in media. Trainers show to participants different photos, one by one, about stereotyped images man/woman, changing roles man/woman, culture influence images man/woman, and exploitation of the image of women in adverts… As soon as participants see one photo they are asked to write very fast words or comments on them.
3. After showing the pictures, pax are invited to open the discussion first in small groups, to see the differences on the perceptions of the same image.
4. Then in plenary there is a short debriefing with the main ideas with one representative from each small group)
Further questions for debrifing/evaluation:
- Did anyone change their mind during the course of the discussion?
- If so, which were the arguments that convinced them?
- Why do people hold different opinions?
- How did religion influence their points of view?
- Why in some Arab countries these photos are shown with no consequences?
Photos, videos, A4 colour paper, pens, markers.
DISCLAIMER: SALTO-YOUTH EuroMed cannot be held responsible for the inappropriate use of these training tools. Always adapt training tools to your aims, context, target group and to your own skills! These tools have been used in a variety of formats and situations. Please notify SALTO-YOUTH EuroMed should you know about the origin of or copyright on this tool.