Training Young Tutors - A pratical handbook on peer work
"Training Young Tutors - A pratical handbook on peer work" is a tool that can be used by an animator that wants to work with a group of teenagers in order to train them on peer work/education, based on the promotion of mutual help and active listening.
This tool aims to train teenagers in mutual help, active listinening, leadership and decision making. It can be an helpfull tool whem we want an alternative and onging methodology that helps the teen to improve their academic achievement, responsability and active participation.
The work is based on a methodology of action-reflection-action. This methodology presupposes that participants experience pratical activities - in this case, mostly group dinamics' games - ande their reflection about that experience enables them to get in a process of an attitude and behavioural change and that they will, than, start to act differently in other contexts of their life due to these new constructs about themselves and their abilities.
- The participants and me present ourselves: "My name is... and may colour today is... because...."
- I'll make a brief presentation of the tool specifying its mais parts. I'll start by by briefly presenting TASSE and I'll tell the "story" of this tool and the reasons why we created it.
- I'll invite yhe participants to experience a session of "Young Tutors training" as we do it wiyh the teenagers at our project, with the following games: a)"Do you like your neighbour?"; b) "A special ID card"; c) "Trades Market".
- I'll promote a reflection about the experience of the group and, finally, ask the participants to fill card boards with their evaluations about: a) Strong points of the tool; b) weak points of the tool; c) Why could I use this tool; d) Why I wouldn't use this tool.
- Then, I'll close the workshop.
The materials needed depend on the specific planning of each session.
- An increase on the rates of school success;
- An increase on the commitement and participation of the teenagers;
- An increase on the proactivity of teenagers involved.
The tool is effective for the achievement of the goals that it pretends to obtain. It's necessary an ongoing process with the participants in order to observe change.
DISCLAIMER: SALTO-YOUTH EuroMed cannot be held responsible for the inappropriate use of these training tools. Always adapt training tools to your aims, context, target group and to your own skills! These tools have been used in a variety of formats and situations. Please notify SALTO-YOUTH EuroMed should you know about the origin of or copyright on this tool.