Mobile School - an educational tool for detached youth workers and street educators
The Mobile School methodology is a package of tools and trainings for street educators and detached youth workers to boost the self-esteem of children in street contexts, playgrounds, roma comunities and refugee settings.
- Capacity building of street educators and detached youth workers
- Empowerment of children and youngsters and strengthening the self-esteem
Each outreach activity will be guided by a team of local street educators or youth workers and follow this methodology:
1. Preparation of activity: assessing the needs of the target group and preparing games and activities which address these needs
2. implementing the mobile school: +/ 2 hours of outdoors activity, using a very open pedagogy. Children decide what they want to do at the mobile school as it enters their environment.
3. Evaluation the mobile school activity: discussing problems and challenges, evaluating the progression with children and preparing changes for next time's activity.
In general the mobile school activity is a tool based on:
- outdoor education
- experience based learning
- learning by playing
Mobile School and educational materials:
- local organisation applies by sending email and filling in application file and video application
- first exploratory expedition at local organisation by Mobile School trainer: assessment local organisation and training of 5 days including street work training, project management, importance of play
- translation of educational materials by Mobile School and local organisation if necessary (now available in 15 languages)
- production and shipment of materials to local organisation (free of charge)
- implementation training at local organisation by 2 Mobile School training during 2 weeks: self-esteem training, use of educational materials, creative therapy, evaluation & planning methodologies, coaching of use of materials during street interventions
- follow-up: online coaching and training expeditions
- organisation of youth worker exchanges: exchange of best practices
All materials are given to the local organisation who will use them for +4 outreach activities/week. Some of our partners are using the mobile school already since 10 years on a daily base.
Online content-sharing platform:
- Free use of platform (once developed)
- strong search engine to find games and methodologies to implement on the street
- strong wizard to input best activities on the street
Depending on the level of partnership, Mobile School vzw offers the following tools:
- a mobile school and 300 educational panels are shipped to a local organisations. This requires an organisation to apply for the tools and trainings, around 1 staff/5 children with a minimum amount of 2 fixed staff to work with the mobile school, preferably a group of volunteers who can support the fixed staff, a storage area for the mobile school.
- Mobile School Playground: an online educational content-sharing platform, free accessible (in development). You will need to have a user login, a computer, an internet connection, materials to create your games/methodologies (carton boards, scissors, colours, ...)
Mobile School and educational materials:
- strengthened local organisations using advanced methodology to do interventions on the street
Mobile School Playground: Online content-sharing patform:
- improved creativity and variety of educational offer to children and youth in street contexts
The Mobile School methodology has been implemented with more than 50 organisations worldwide. It has proven to be a successful tool to approach children, youth and communities who are difficult to reach, because of the mobile school's attractive colours and it's open approach.
The tool is a first step in an emancipatory process with the children, reaching out to them, establishing trust relations and setting the base for further action and development. Often the mobile school teams connect with other institutions: schools, vocational centers, youth support centers to refer children to to address their needs.
The mobile school has proven to have its use with all kind of ages, but in a European context is most often used with children between 6 and 12 years old.
DISCLAIMER: SALTO-YOUTH EuroMed cannot be held responsible for the inappropriate use of these training tools. Always adapt training tools to your aims, context, target group and to your own skills! These tools have been used in a variety of formats and situations. Please notify SALTO-YOUTH EuroMed should you know about the origin of or copyright on this tool.